Thursday 28 August 2014

Tourist in our own Home Town

Recently hubby and I went on another outing in our continuing saga of playing tourist in our own home town which is actually a large metropolitan area. But if we hadn't had a voucher which was soon to expire we probably would have backed out and that's what got me pondering.

Why is it so hard to get out to what we generally call touristy places near home?

Why does it seem easier to be adventurous when on vacation in a foreign country than near home in own language, own currency, own culture, in own car?





A few thoughts re afar—
  • Gotta do it when you can - may never be on this part of the globe again
  • Can't put it off till tomorrow or till better weather
  • In the mode of that's what we're here for
  • Tackling the completely unknown seems more exciting than stepping a little bit out of your comfort zone
  • Bragging rights when home again - I did the...whatever... overcame all obstacles... have the photos to prove it
  • Garners oohs and aahs rather than a desultory 'oh?' with a hint of 'whatever for'


At any rate, the above conversation enlivened a rather dull yet unfamiliar drive through heavy traffic to the gardens we visited.  We could have been safely and quietly at home ... cleaning, errands, washing windows!  Really?! Oh the choices we make! Put that way, clearly we need to have home town adventures a little more often!

Aside from avoiding doing chores, was there gain? Judging against a list I googled--
  • Educational – I’ve never seen a filbert tree before
  • Invigorating - after I have had time to get un-tired!
  • Satisfaction of accomplishment - another one off my bucket list
  • Cool stories - 3 slugs were racing down the garden path...
  • Something new - check
  • Challenge - it included a tree-top canopy walk, suspension bridge style!
  • Embrace new cultures - being a touristy place, there were a variety of faces, languages and licence plates
  • Overcoming obstacles - what, no Starbucks?! and the Coke machine is broken down!
  • No regrets - don't wait for spring, do it now

 So, I'm still not sure why it seems so hard to pick a day and just do it. But I'm pretty sure it's worth doing! I challenge you! Get out there!  No more waiting till you have visitors to take around! Enjoy your own home town!




P.S. One thing I’m still confused about.  Can it still be called a “staycation” if you go farther than your own back yard or nearest gas station?

1 comment:

PoCoKat said...

Yes, I believe it is a staycation. I've lived here my entire life and never been to the Capilano Suspension Bridge. We always went to the Lynn Valley Suspension Bridge (which is free)because my parents used to go there in their youth on their bikes.