Tuesday 22 July 2014

What's in a name?

Recently I visited an old - at least a former - workplace.  Not many “old” staff members are still working there but a handful of us chatted, caught up with each other’s lives and of course the conversation turned to reminiscing about old times and former coworkers. In the midst of it all, it really struck me how intensely memory was attached to a name - for instance, three little letters spelling “Liz”.  I was instantly flooded by remembrance of her face, her voice, how we shared with each other and talked about her pets, family, and vacations. I instantly remembered her personality, her hearty laugh, her kindness and dedication to her work, and certainly how sad I was when she moved away.  I've been musing on this ever since. 

What's in a name? I say -- everything!!
First names, family names, business names, nicknames – all!


I went through a not uncommon period of my youth when I disliked my first name / given name / Christian name – “Velma”. It's rather unusual and I went through school wishing so much that I had been called Debbie or Cathy or Jennifer or something "normal".  By now I identify strongly with my name and sometimes because it's unusual I feel like Cher or Twiggy (I'll bet you instantly visualized them?!). I often don’t need to use more than the one name because I’m not likely to be confused with all the other Velma’s! (Sorry Debbie, Cathy, Jennifer et al!)

A name couldn't be more personal or fundamental. It identifies us. It's the sound we’ve responded to since we were born and ever since, whether said by a lover or in an angry reproach.  Mine has morphed to include mom and grandma but is still irrevocably linked to the name my parents gave me.  And it will be on my tombstone.

Shakespeare's Juliet was right when she declared "a rose by any other name would smell as sweet", yet if we say the word "rose" we immediately know the scent and don't confuse it with a “lily”!

Often we honour others by naming a child after someone.  Carrying on a family name. Or using the name of someone who is admired.

There is much said about what names mean and how choosing a name might influence a child's character, but isn't it also the other way around?

Names encapsulate us.
 They sum up who we are
and that’s the aspect I’m reflecting upon today.

Thinking back to the experience I mentioned above, I wonder when someone says my name, what instantly comes flooding into their mind?  The answer to that question partly is and partly is not under my control.  I can't do anything about my face or eye colour or other genetic hand-me-downs, but can conduct myself in a way that honours my fellowman/woman, that builds up and doesn't tear down. 

Maya Angelou may be right when she says, 
“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” 
 
The study of names in the Bible is very interesting.  Names had great significance to God and he even introduced his own name to Moses - "I Am".  Abram was changed to Abraham, Sarai became Sarah, Simon became Peter, etc. The name with the most significance was of course, Jesus.  When we invoke that name, it sums up all we have experienced in our faith.  Just saying the name reminds us of his teaching, miracles, and certainly his sacrifice. Just saying the name "God" or "Jesus" evokes everything we know about the Godhead without any further explanation.

A good name is more desirable than great riches;
    to be esteemed is better than silver or gold.
(Proverbs 22)

Although there's much more to be said about names than I could possibly tackle, I couldn't omit the concept of “making a name for oneself”. The phrase generally refers to self-aggrandisement -  becoming known for some big accomplishment or ability. Much as the phrase usually refers to pride of purpose, I think it fits my thoughts nicely. What could be better than making a name for oneself and being known as an person of simple excellence -  a kind and loving woman.

The challenge is that we only have one life to live. Only one opportunity to establish a good name. I can’t think of a light hearted way to end this blog because when it comes down to it, it’s a pretty heavy responsibility to maintain, keep and treasure a good name. I pray that you and I are up to the task.


No comments: