Sunday 29 June 2014

All the Tomorrows

This morning, through the words of a song, I had a delightful experience in a very special way – in fact, in two ways.

Now that I am this certain age, I have been fretting more than I should about growing older, about all the changes, losses, and concerns that already have begun and that could possibly affect me soon.  I have mentioned previously that what I see when I look at older people is my own fearfulness. I know I'm not alone in this. Had a conversation with a friend this week who just hit the Golden Years and she expressed the same concerns. I've been stuck there in spite of knowing I need not be.  The chorus of the song below that we sang in church this morning affected me to the core!

Because He lives, I can face tomorrow,
Because He lives, all fear is gone;
Because I know He holds the future,
And life is worth the living…

I have been saying it in my head but my heart must have been disengaged. Through the words of this old Gaither song, God tapped me on the shoulder – kindly and gently – but really I felt it as a rap across my knuckles.  Perfect discipline – I received it both ways.

In an article, Gloria Gaither who wrote the lyrics said this – and I echo it – “I can’t quite explain what happened at that moment, but suddenly I felt released from it all. The panic that had begun to build inside was gently dispelled by a reassuring presence that engulfed my life and drew my attention.”

I have a new weapon in my arsenal now - each time the worry surfaces, I can hold onto the truth expressed in the song - I shall sing it loudly and lustily! - knowing that even as I face the “final war with pain”,  all fear is gone (ongoing present tense!)

The other very special way this song impacted me today was the circle of family.  As my son led us in singing it, husband on the platform playing guitar accompaniment, myself in the congregation, I could hear the voices of my parents singing the same song in a duet just as heartily many years ago – mom on piano or accordion and dad with his face tipped upwards as he usually did.  What a beautiful thing!  Almost overwhelming!  God in his great kindness sent me a message reminding me that He is eternal – was with mom and dad, is with my family now, will be with all of us – including the young ones - on into all the tomorrows - no fear because...


        Because He Lives

God sent His Son , they called Him Jesus,
He came to love, heal, and forgive;
He lived and died to buy my pardon,
An empty grave is there to prove my Savior lives.
               
Chorus: Because He lives I can face tomorrow,
Because He lives All fear is gone;
Because I know He holds the future.
And life is worth the living just because He lives.

How sweet to hold a newborn baby,
And feel the pride, and joy He gives;
But greater still the calm assurance,
This child can face uncertain days because He lives.

And then one day I'll cross the river,
I'll fight life's final war with pain;
And then as death gives way to victory,
I'll see the lights of glory and I'll know he lives.

-Bill and Gloria Gaither

No comments: