Saturday 27 October 2018

Vacation Reprise


How does a vacation to foreign shores bring change to mind and heart? Where’s the value?

Being there is the thing! Being immersed daily in the location fills all the senses the way that videos, pictures and descriptions just can't do.
The foreign shore I am referring to specifically in this case is the city of Rome.
I've been considering how to respond when people ask, how was your trip? other than, it was great.
I've been asking myself questions like, was it worth it? What did I want from it? Did I get what I wanted?
To simplify analyzing what I wanted, I have divided it into two streams.
One, to see first hand the accumulation of art, paintings, statues, frescoes, mosaics, in museums and churches, monuments and parks, and in innumerable places all over the historic centre that have collected over the centuries. 
Two, to experience Roman life - the general ambience - culture, language, weather, use of historic buildings, landscape, mazes of streets, walking, bussing, shops, food, restaurants, etc. I know it’s the touristy Roman life but still considerably different than home.
Yes, I enjoyed both! And yes, it was worth the time, effort and cost.
This time more than ever I added identifying and appreciating the amazing talent, gifting and creativeness that comes from God our Creator. We tend to focus on a few well known names but I became aware of how many unnamed artists and craftspeople would have been involved in all that I saw. It takes a huge number of people to build and contribute to any one of the amazing places we toured.
Also I appreciated that cathedrals – even though they are different from my church background - were ultimately built to honour Almighty God and were filled with beautiful things, always with Jesus and the cross front and centre. I noted that the special chapels or memorial stones that featured Biblical persons or historical persons who have been designated as saints are a way of honouring and remembering "that great cloud of witnesses” who have gone before (Hebrews 12).
For what purpose do we travel if not to enlarge our understanding and stir our souls?! To allow new experiences to have an impact on us! To learn about how we are globally different yet the same! And how the same God is Lord over all!

 "Hebrews 12:1-3 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."






No comments: