Tuesday 10 October 2017

Pizza for Thanksgiving? – A Puzzling Question





It's Thanksgiving!  Autumn is upon us. Leaves are turning colour. Birds are migrating.  Everything as it should be in the turn of the seasons.  But there's one thing that is wacky and out of place.

I'm talking about the big Thanksgiving dinner!

I know it's all about being together and about remembering how important it is to be thankful. We will no doubt take turns expressing our thankfulness around the table and each expression will be different and it’ll be wonderful. We’ll play games and go for a walk and there will be great commotion with conversation, kids and dogs.

However, our family - the 8 of us - are having pizza!  That's okay, right?! There is no rule about having a big dish like turkey as far as I know.

But, I'm wondering, when and how did it come to this? When did I give over?

It was not too many years ago when the kids were small and we were fortunate enough to live on 5 acres of land, when pretty much all the meal was homemade and home grown just like it was in the good ol’ days of my childhood. A few times we had turkeys raised by my dad. Stuffing was made from leftover bread gathered up and dried in the oven. Potatoes, carrots, rutabaga, Brussels sprouts, onions, peas, corn, whatever vegetables chosen were definitely from the garden out back. Same with the pickles. And pumpkin pie? We grew the pumpkins, roasted, mashed and seasoned them and of course made our own pie crust.  Whipped cream was heavy cream - from a farm if possible - whipped by my little mix master. And it was served to a big bunch of people who crammed elbow to elbow into our little dining area.

Back to the current Thanksgiving celebration. We'll phone in the pizza order. Everyone can have their flavour favourite.  And we bought ready made chicken wings that will just need to be warmed up in the oven. We bought a veggie platter and a container of fruit ready to serve. The pumpkin pie? Bought of course at the supermarket. And the whipped cream? In a can - aerosol.

In my defence I could claim weariness in well doing. Over the past 45 years, except for a handful of times, I have been responsible for Thanksgiving (and Christmas) turkey dinners and that leads me to surmise I've wrestled around 80 birds into and out of the roasting pan. But I've enjoyed every one of those dinners. They have all been worth-while. You too by any chance?!

I'm sure we'll have a wonderful time together and be thankful but I'm not sure we know how thankful we should be when we haven't watched with wonder as the plants grew from seed to harvest. Haven't weeded and watered and cared for them as they grew.  Because we haven't harvested, and washed and peeled and diced and cooked and mashed and dirtied our fingers and aprons in the mess, we won’t have worked at the meal with our hands and hearts.

I really think we're missing something precious! I'm so thankful that I had that home grown era in my life. Latterly of course vegetables for dinner have had to come from the store, but still needed peeling, dicing, and cooking and the turkey still needed to be in the oven early in the morning. The fragrance of all that cooking was a big part of the day.

What about next year? Have I stepped over the edge forever?  Is this the new reality? 
Anything wrong with a turkey-absent Thanksgiving meal?
I'm just confused!


The puzzling question remains - when did the pizza for Thanksgiving idea become thinkable?!






P.S.  Post-Thanksgiving dinner update.  We did have a wonderful time together. We did express our thankfulness to God and to each other. We enjoyed the food and fun and I almost didn’t miss the turkey till next day when the leftovers were pizza slices instead of turkey for casseroles and soup!  









No comments: