Wednesday 6 April 2016

HAPPILY EVER AFTER

Did you watch the final episode of Downton Abbey? A lot was said about adapting and moving forward into the future and I picked up on it right away since that's where my mind is right now.  And besides, who can argue with the family of the Earl of Grantham?! This conversation takes place on New Year’s Eve--

Lady Cora, "The more adaptable we are, the more chance we have of getting through [meaning the future]" 
Husband, the Earl replies,  "We never know what's coming of course. Who does?"
The Dowager Countess says, "Makes me smile how every year we drink to the future ..."
and the response from Cousin Isobel was, "Well, we're going forward to the future not backwards to the past!"
To which the Dowager replies cheekily with a chuckle, "If only we had the choice!" [Some days I'm with her!]

The fictional story ended with an unspoken but definite nod to...



Since we don't actually live in a fairy tale world, we are perfectly aware that happily ever after is dependent on circumstances and wishful thinking.  But we also know that God’s Word tells us that joy is readily available in all circumstances.

"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him" (Romans 15:13)


There are of course better examples than fictional characters. I'm thinking of Ruth and Naomi in the Old Testament.  Ruth had to adapt after her husband died when she chose to leave her home and go with her mother in law, Naomi, to live in her home country; there to grow old. Come to think of it, I’m sure Naomi had a lot of adjusting to do when she married and moved away from her home country as a young bride too. That's not the usual lesson pulled out of that story but it's there, isn't it? (PS. Their stories had a Godly inspired happy ending!)  And any biography section is replete with stories of courageous and Godly men and women who found strength to adapt and carry on in joy.

 “But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.”                         (2 Corinthians 12:9)

If I personalize it, remove the word “weakness” and replace it with “adaptation/lack of”, it becomes --  
My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in “adapting”. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my “concerns with adaptation”, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
***
There is nothing new in what I’ve shared, but it has been meaningful to me as I remembered it again for the first time and I hope it’s reminded you too.  I’m convinced we can have peace and joy and maintain our confidence as things change around us and we do our best, in God’s strength, each day, year after upcoming year!

Recently I read the following in a devotional called Upper Room.  I trust the author will not mind my borrowing a paragraph to use for the purpose of encouragement.  I love the fact that she’s from Chile – it’s wonderful to be reminded that our God is the same all around the world!  She wrote—
“The years have gone by quickly. Now my life is not quite as fast-paced, my vision is not what it used to be, and my hands are not quite as steady. However, I am still in constant communication with my Creator in every activity I undertake. I am grateful for the opportunity to work with God by my side. I am blessed that even in my frailty, God is my constant companion.”

Postscript--
Referring to my last post, I do not have info on blogs or devotionals to pass along because although I’ve had some lovely responses, I've had no one give any links that quite fit “the brief”.  If you go to my blog online (get there by clicking on the title of this blog in blue) you’ll find links to some women’s postings that I follow.  You also might like to look up “Daily Living for Seniors”.



1 comment:

Eunice said...

I'm sure the aged Naomi had to adjust returning home, a widow with a 'different' daughter-in-law. Life is full of adjustments, but His joy is our strength.
Thanks for the encouraging post. Glad to see you posting again.