Saturday 17 October 2020

WALKING AND CONTEMPLATION


For me, during this Covid-19 pandemic, most days a walk has been a good counterbalance to the stay at home measures. Sometimes I've driven to a park or trail but usually just went out the door and around the neighbourhood. I feel like I've worn a groove in my neighbours’ sidewalks. Thanks to a good friend I recently learned that I could virtually walk elsewhere in the world and find that to be very intriguing because I can't envision actually doing the real thing any time soon.

I would dearly love to walk the Camino de Santiago (the Way of St. James) in Europe with destination being the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela in Spain. Now I know that I can do so virtually. Gotta love modern technology! I log the miles I walk here and the program moves my little stick-self along the route and provides photos of what I would have seen if I had actually been there. It certainly has added interest and purpose to wearing out my shoe leather. It's amazing how every mile I've walked near my home has been accumulating and bringing me closer to my virtual destination.


I chose the Camino Portugues starting in Porto, Portugal, heading north along the coastline because I've been to Porto and loved it.

As I've walked through my neighbourhood, even when things have felt bleak, I've tried to appreciate nature as it blossomed from spring into early summer. I watched as daffodils had their turn and gave way to rhododendrons and then to foxgloves and blackberries. And I've thanked God for beauty and creation. (Now if I could only learn to look past the lawns left to go to seed and the weeds taking over what should be flowerbeds. Reminder to self: God created what we call weeds too. But I digress…)

In general, people seem to love to be in motion - from prams and jolly jumpers, through toy cars and pedal bikes, skateboards, roller skates, bicycles, motorcycles, jogging, swimming, running, cars, boats, and more. So it's not surprising that hiking or walking is an enjoyable activity. Disregarding walking as a competition or activity where we want to be seen as being successful, why would anyone choose to walk for a month?!  What’s the value? Why do I still say I’d love to do it? These are the questions I have been asking myself.

There was a time when a pilgrimage was undertaken because the ensuing mass and certificate of pilgrimage ensured believers would spend less time in purgatory but these days this religious reason is not often cited. However, I know that one of my desires would be to spend lots of time meditating on God and His mysteries and just allowing myself to be absorbed by the surroundings.

I remember walking a short portion of the Via Appia in Italy. There was something about the history underfoot and the connection to generations past that was very meaningful. There's also something about the personal connection of feet to the ground. Walking under the branches of a tree vs driving past it. Smelling the earthy air of flowers and fields vs hurrying by with windows up and air conditioning on.

Additionally, I would definitely enjoy chatting with other pilgrims during our together yet alone adventure. There would be lots of unhurried time either walking or sitting together in the evenings for sharing. I would love viewing the various vistas along the pathways and stopping in small communities for coffees or meals. Less desirable would be sore muscles and blistered feet that go along with it or the shared accommodations overnight.

Even on my short walks around the neighbourhood, I've noticed how quickly I can get into a mode of contemplation. My feet keep moving forward of their own accord and my scattered mind does a reset often settling on nothing in particular. . Lately I’ve thought a lot about the difference between loneliness and solitude. I can choose the one over the other if I have the will to do so. I can turn the negative sense of unhappy loneliness into a positive and constructive solitary state of mind. I am fully aware that I need God’s help to do this and I know He is very willing to provide the strength and faith required. I can then walk through each day on the path of inner peace and joy.

Spring/Summer 2020


The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Psalm 23

 

 

Our religious activities should be ordered in such a way

as to have plenty of time for the cultivation of the fruits of

solitude and silence.

A.W. Tozer

 


No comments: