Tuesday 14 April 2020

Finding a comfortable place to be


When the future is uncertain, the past seems a safer place to be. 

Do you find yourself leaning towards comfort these days of Covid-19 pandemic? I do.







Good old-fashioned foods. Not only do they satisfy but are often made with simple ingredients that we probably have in our pantries or freezers. Biscuits. Bread Pudding. Pancakes. Mac and cheese. Baked beans.

Another question - do you find yourself leaning towards old comfortable friends and relatives these days? Even if the years have seen us move miles apart from each other, our hearts have never been distant so it's easy to reconnect. Someone we went to school with. Someone we went to church with. Cousins, aunts, uncles. A neighbour from 2 or 3 moves ago. Best friends when our children were born.

Did you pull out your old board games so you can sit around the table like in past days, rather than playing the digital version? Scrabble. Checkers. Puzzles – I hear they are hard to come by on the store shelves these days.

Are you, like me, tending to choose to listen to favourite music from years past?- even if listening to them on a thoroughly modern program like Spotify!!  Remember "A little bit country and a little bit rock n roll".  Elvis.  Doris Day.  Patsy Cline.  Louis Armstrong. Joni Mitchell.  B.J.Thomas.

Gospel music from the Gaithers comforts and encourages me.  Old hymns. Andrea Crouch.  Evie. Amy Grant. Any number of southern gospel quartets.

I'm rewatching old movies. Kinda wish I still had my VCR and collection of tapes.

Did you know that The Beverley Hillbillies TV show is on reruns?  Well, that's old vocab, actually it's available on a streaming service.

Gentle and comfortable books like Anne of Green Gables or the Mitford series are my choice these days.

And when I'm reading the Bible, I’m not back to the King James version of the church of my youth! -  but enjoy the NIV for the comfort and familiarity of the passages.

In general, I find I am not taking up the challenge of learning new information or tackling online courses.

A walk through the neighbourhood confirms that the natural world has not gone into hiding. I am revelling in the sight of green grass and blossoms, birds chirping and squirrels scurrying. It's comfortably the same as every year but somehow more precious today when everything else is off kilter.

Finding comfort in the past – the old and familiar - is very appealing to me right now. It seems like living in the present is akin to being in a waiting room while the future has been put on hold.

Then I remember Paul’s words in Ephesians 5, “So be very careful how you live, not being like those with no understanding, but live honorably with true wisdom, for we are living in evil times. Take full advantage of every day as you spend your life for his purposes.  And don’t live foolishly for then you will have discernment to fully understand God’s will.” (TPTversion)

Here’s a quote I identify with--  Our culture – and even our faith tradition – can easily convince us that it’s better to live somewhere other than the present. My time can be sucked into thinking about yesterday or tomorrow. But there’s an element of eternity in every moment we’re given. Today, I have breath in my lungs. Today, there’s life to be lived with God by my side. I just need to take a moment to see it.”  (Cheryl, Twenty-six Letters, online)
There then, is the challenge – “take full advantage of every day”!  There is no built in excuse for times of pandemics. In fact, more than just satisfying myself with something that feels comfortable, at this time it’s vitally important to step out of that zone of comfort and instead be the one to bring comfort to others in whatever way I can, today and every day.


This is the day that the Lord has made! Let us rejoice and be glad in it.!
(Psalm 118:24)




[If you are receiving this due to subscribing via your email, you can go to the address below to see the blog in its published form, make a comment or view previous posts.  Thanks for reading my reflections. Velma.]



No comments: