Sunday 29 March 2020

The Days are Just Packed!


I got up this morning, grabbed my device and automatically opened the day's online calendar. In my groggy state, I hadn't yet realized the futility of doing so. Today will be another day just like the other day.  In the midst of being Covid-19 homebound, my schedule is glaringly empty. 


This would be terrific if the replacement for activity wasn't anxiety.

So, what's to be done about it?

I'm trying to think of things that are not part of my regular busy routine - things that will stave off anxiety and fill my days with purpose.  I could: 

Pull out hobbies that have been pushed to the back of the cupboard. 
Write a letter to someone in longhand, walk to the mailbox and send it via snail mail.  Hmmm, I used to have some really pretty stationery - I wonder where it is.
Phone someone and talk for an hour instead of sending them a few lines in a text. 
Take a nap.
Clean light fixtures and wash windows. 
Do my prescribed back exercises that I tend to put off till later and later....
Knit scarves or mittens to be given to the homeless next winter. 
Try out new or old recipes using pantry staples, not special ingredients that would require a trip to the grocery store. 
Read some of the books that have been accumulating in stacks both physical and electronic for reading "one of these days."  
Pull out the piano book that I gave up on because it's too hard, and hunker down with some serious effort. 
The online courses and Bible studies I've seen advertised offer many great choices.
Take time to be silent, to be still, to pray.

Wow!  I hadn't realized my days are so full of possibilities!   Each person would no doubt create a list that is same but different.  What does your list look like?  Options abound!

I remember reading a Calvin and Hobbes comic book entitled "The Days are Just Packed " which is a great escape from the real battles of life. My copy has been lent to someone but just the memory of it makes me smile.


Now my daytimer is filling up nicely- the days are just packed!

[If you are receiving this due to subscribing via your email, you can go to the address below to see the blog in its published form, make a comment or view previous posts.  Thanks for reading my reflections. Velma.]


No comments: