Thursday 4 August 2016

Living in the Moment

Live in the Moment
If you've been reading my occasional reflective postings you know I've more than once alluded to the challenges of growing older.  Recently the challenge in my heart has been to settle into living "in the moment".  I thought I had been, or thought I had been trying to, but realize that I haven't fully arrived (duh, of course not, do we ever “arrive” short of heaven’s gates?)

Goodness knows living in the moment is not a new concept but it’s new again to me right now. Here’s where it started.  I found myself saying to a friend a series of sentences like this:
I wish I was still doing….  I wish I could still be….   I wish I still lived at….

To my chagrin, I really feel that way sometimes.  Guilt immediately sets in and well it should because my life in general is pretty great. However I have to admit I occasionally long for some part of my past. For example, sometimes I long for my children when they were small or a previous home or career. But there are no do-overs. No lingering in years past.  Realistically I know I'm often remembering through a rose coloured rear view window (and rose coloured windows block out the I wish I hadn’t regrets).

Unfortunately the front windshield looking ahead is not made of the same rose tinted glass.  The future used to be full of possibilities and often preferable to the past.  Today my thoughts migrate to things like: next week, next year or in ten years I hope I still can do… I hope I can still be… I hope I will still…

There are so many threads in this web of thought that my brain is getting tangled up trying to sort them out.

One thing is for certain though, at this point, I want to complete the previous sentence with -- I hope I still am and always will be worthy of my chosen path as a Christ follower.  C.T.Studd's poem, "Only one life 'twill soon be past Only what's done for Christ will last" sounds like but is not a quote from the Bible, rather it’s a message he heard in his heart that beckoned him to an amazing faith filled life.  I find myself focused on this stanza:

Give me Father, a purpose deep,In joy or sorrow Thy word to keep;Faithful and true what e’er the strife,Pleasing Thee in my daily life;Only one life, ’twill soon be past,Only what’s done for Christ will last.

A favourite writer of mine, C.S. Lewis, says:
"Happy work is best done by the man who takes his long-term plans somewhat lightly and works from moment to moment 'as to the Lord.' It is only our daily bread that we are encouraged to ask for. The present is the only time in which any duty can be done or any grace received."

Living in the moment differs from living for the moment!
Living for the moment is selfish with short term perspective. Happiness that expires at a moment's notice.
Living in the moment takes full advantage of the opportunities that come along, using our gifts and abilities, reaching out to others and being used by God in ways we have yet to discover.  Living with purpose like that is both the chicken and the egg - it results in joy and is also rooted in joy in the heart.

And one more quote, from Jean Allen:
"It’s especially difficult when the present moment is extremely dull and lonely or else full of maximum stress. It’s so hard to stay present and pay attention because, for some odd reason, when we spend time in the past or in the future we feel we’re more in control. Or at least we feel there’s more potential for control if we can get it all together and figure out exactly what should be happening and then make it happen. Staying in the moment is an act of supreme trust. It means that we give up control. We leave the past in his hands and assume that he can and will create our future according to his word, not according to our expectations. We need to pay attention to the present moment because that’s when and where he comes. Every moment is an advent of our God and every moment we spend in being attentive is a season of preparation for a full awareness of his presence."

Way back in the Old Testament, God said to Moses “I AM”.  He is continually and always in the present tense, that is, in the moment.  The Gospel of John relates how these I Am statements were fulfilled in Jesus (see below) and that brings enlightenment and joy to me.  I can put aside those “I wish” or “I hope” statements. They change to -- I am continuing on in assurance that each moment I live is a moment in which the Lord God is giving my life purpose and that brings joy no matter my advancing age or diminishing abilities.

Live in the Moment
It's a call to an awakening!  Today is the day… not tomorrow, not yesterday but today!

You too?! - Me too!

Thanks for being my online friends!  Blessings!

Velma


The Gospel of John contains seven statements giving the reader a clear picture of Jesus. It is no accident that John gives us seven. This is the number of perfection. These “I Am” sayings go back to Exodus 3:13-15 where God revealed Himself to Moses as the great I AM THAT I AM. The seven declarations are---
And Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst” (John 6:35).
Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, “I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life” (John 8:12).
I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture” (John 10:9).
I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep” (John 10:11).
Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live” (John 11:25).
Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me” (John 14:6).
I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser” (John 15:1).


2 comments:

Eunice said...

Amen! Thanks for stimulating my spirit to see in every day life the "I Am"

Unknown said...

Really great insights in your blog. Because I receive your blogs through email subscription, I sometimes forget that I should come back to your blog site and comment.
Staying in the moment is sometimes difficult because we have lordship issues (aka control). God's plan is always better than mine, even when it doesn't feel or look like it "in the moment".
Keep up the blog work!
Mich